Thursday, February 23, 2012

A Favorite Comfort Food

We all have meals that are our families' favorites.  One of our favorite meals stems back to my childhood, which according to my son was in the day of dinosaurs and before color was invented (someday I will post about the great questions I have been asked by Buddy Bear - gotta love that kid).  Anyway, I remember my aunt making this meal for us one time when we were spending the night at my Grandma's house and from then on my mom made it.  After I got married this meal became one of our favorites and then kids came along and they love it too.  It is warm, delicious, and reminds me of my childhood, therefore it qualifies as comfort food in our house.  We simply call it Green Beans, Potatoes, and Kielbasa.  In our house we always have the broth in it so I guess it might qualify as a soup, but we eat it with a fork so you get all the food out and then you can slurp the delicious broth straight from the bowl.  Weird?  Not around here.  We eat it year round and it is best with green beans fresh from our garden in the summer, but frozen green beans are a nice substitute too (frozen garden green beans are awesome too).  Here it goes...

Green Beans, Potatoes, and Kielbasa
10 small-medium potatoes, washed and diced (peeled or unpeeled you choose, it doesn't matter)
2 packages of kielbasa cut up
2 bags of frozen green beans (if you are using fresh it would probably be 1-2 lbs., I've never measured it out)
Lemon Pepper (optional)

Combine the potatoes and kielbasa and cover with water.  

Bring to a boil and boil it for about 10 minutes.  Add green beans and continue to boil until potatoes are completely done and the green beans are cooked to your likeness.  

Once it is done, we dip it into bowls and sprinkle with lemon pepper.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog and leave a comment, it means the world to me!