Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Double Duty Tip for Twosday

A double duty tip for Twosday...get it, double duty, two instead of Tues.  I crack me up.  I am corny like that sometimes or it could be a lack of good sleep since the whole evil plan of Daylight Savings Time.  Anyway, I have a great double duty use for a kitchen tool you probably already own.  Last month I was helping my sister-in-law frost cupcakes for my nephew's Cub Scout graduation.  She was making the last of the cupcake batter when I got there.  When it was time to pour the batter into the wrappers, she got out her ice cream scoop.  What?  Of course I was like, um, didn't know we were having ice cream right now.  She said, no silly, I figured out that an ice cream scoop of batter is the perfect amount for the cupcake wrappers and once the cupcakes come out they are not over flowing and they have the perfect little shape for frosting.  Duh, me!  I never thought of that.  So ever since I saw her do that, I have been using my ice cream scoop to fill cupcake wrappers before I bake them.  She was right, it is the perfect amount, no guessing needed.  Thanks for the tip Jess!  That got me thinking....
A Double Duty Ice Cream Scoop
Saturdays are the days I typically fix pancakes because I double or triple my batch and they take a while to cook.  I had an idea, if the ice cream scoop is the perfect amount of batter for cupcakes, would it be the perfect amount for blueberry oat pancakes too?
A scoop of Blueberry Oat Pancakes
It is much to my delight!  It makes the perfect size pancakes for my kids, not too much for Baby Bear who eats like a bird and just right for 2 pancakes for Buddy Bear without over stuffing him.  The pancakes also turned out the right size for hubby and me to have 3 and not have to go and put on our stretchy pants.  :)  So my double duty tip for Twosday is try using an ice cream scoop the next time you have a batter to make either into cupcakes, muffins, or pancakes.  One scoop of batter perfectly fills the cupcake wrapper without overflowing it and one scoop of batter makes a nice size pancake.
Pancakes in the pan after using the ice cream scoop

A finished pancake


7 comments:

  1. That's awesome, I usually use a big spoon, this looks simpler...I'm a new follower from the hop! Hope to see you at my blog soon! http://acostaeveli.blogspot.com/ :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this idea because thry'd all be uniform!

    Thanks for joining Flock Together this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They did all turn out uniform and it was so much less mess.

      Delete
  3. Great idea! I have used an ice cream scoop for muffins, but never for pancakes. Like how they all turn out the same size.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a neat idea! I have never used my ice cream scoop for anything other than ice cream.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog and leave a comment, it means the world to me!