Sunday, April 15, 2012

My Son Shocked Us

Yesterday was an exciting day for us.  My son absolutely shocked us.  I am still sitting here in shock as I think about yesterday.  It started off as just a normal day.  We had Buddy Bear's first Upwards Soccer game.  This is the first time he has ever played soccer and he loves it.  He loves to run so this is a perfect sport for him.  The only thing he really needs to work on is being a little more aggressive when it comes to getting in the pack to get the ball.  It is really hard to teach a boy that it is finally okay if you kick someone.  So the Spartans, my son's team, did okay for their first game.  They all played hard and tried their best.  They lost, but they are a team where only 1 or 2 of the boys have played soccer before and most of the boys on the other team had played before.

Yesterday afternoon we headed to a friend's house for their son's birthday party.  We have been up to their house before and we know that the boys in that family are into dirt biking.  We have chatted about it with them many times as there is a big group of families in our church that is really into dirt biking and they are one of those families.  My hubby has always really been into the idea of trying dirt biking as it sounds like a blast to him, but my very conservative Buddy Bear was never really sure.  He had decided maybe he would wait on the dirt bikes and just try out the 4-Wheeler.  We kept telling Buddy maybe he should just consider it since all the other boys in the group we hang out with love dirt bikes so much.  The other boys are always telling stories of the fun they have on their dirt bikes.  Not that Buddy has to do what they do, but sometimes he misses out on the really fun stuff because he is SO conservative.  

So yesterday we were getting ready to leave and our friend asked my hubby if he wanted to try out the small dirt bike they had.  Hubby said sure as he has been wanting to try it out and our friend has been hanging on to the bike he tried because it is a good learning bike.  Hubby had a lot of fun and Buddy Bear was watching him the whole time.  The boys were chatting with Buddy and all of a sudden I heard him say, "Yeah, I want to try it."  What?  Is that my boy?  The ultra conservative one?  The one it took 2 full days to convince him to try a water slide on our cruise last year?  Is this the same boy who told me earlier this year that he wouldn't try a dirt bike only a 4-Wheeler?  Yep, that's my boy.  Before I knew it the other boys were finding him a helmet and getting him into safety gear.  He was ready and although I was nervous for him, I couldn't show it.  I had to encourage him to try the dirt bikes he had previously said he would never try.  He hopped on they showed him what to do and I could see him listening intently.  I watched as he re-told our friend exactly how to use the bike.  Then with his Daddy right by his side, Buddy Bear started the dirt bike and off he went.  It was a matter of minutes until he had it all down and Daddy no longer had to run beside him.  Buddy did fantastic!  He was a natural and our friends offered to let us borrow their dirt bike so he could practice some more.  Now my conservative Buddy Bear, is super excited about learning how to ride dirt bikes.  He can't wait to finish school and start dirt biking.  I couldn't be more excited that Buddy was being brave and conquered one of his fears.  He stepped out of his comfort zone and it paid off for him.  I'm shocked he tried something new so bravely, but he did it and we are proud parents.

4 comments:

  1. Whoa, he's quite the little daredevil. That's super cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was pretty cool to see him step outside of the box and try something new. Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  2. My youngest is like that and you can't talk him into anything. But, once he decides he will try it, he usually loves it! Sometimes my husband and my oldest try to push him into trying rollercoasters, waterslides etc and it is pointless :-)

    I'm a new follower coming to you from Mom's Best Nest Blog Hop :-)

    http://longislandchick.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting and I am going to check out your blog too! Once we convince my son to try things he usually does like them it is just all the convincing that we have to do that gets me. The other day I don't even know if he even really thought about getting on that dirt bike, I think he just did it and it worked. :)

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog and leave a comment, it means the world to me!