Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Spring Chick - Kids Craft Tutorial

Here is a fun little craft that I did with my kids using the Cricut and you can too.

1.  Cut out a chick.  I used my Cricut with the Stretch Your Imagination Cartridge.  I cut the chick to be 7" and it had musical notes with it, but I didn't use those for this project so I just set them aside for later.

2.  I gathered all my supplies - glue, cotton balls (not pictured), paper piercer, needle, extra embroidery thread, ribbon, and a pencil.


3.  I wrote on the chick, Happy Spring.  This was originally going to be an Easter project, but as time got away from me it turned into a spring project.  It was also going to be done a little differently, but what I pictured in my head didn't work in reality so I altered the project and that is why you see so many extra chicks in the picture.


4.  Using my paper piercing tool, I poked holes where I had written Happy Spring and threaded a needle with leftover embroidery floss.  My kids then worked with Gigi (my mom) to sew the words Happy Spring on the chick.






6.  Once we had sewn on the words and then I tried my original idea and failed, I came up with the idea to make it into a chick coming out of the egg.  I made the egg by applying  glue to the bottom portion of the chick and then pulling apart cotton balls and pushing them into the glue.


7.  Cut a length of ribbon about 3-4 inches.  Fold in half and glue on the backside of the top of the chick's head.  

8.  Lastly we grabbed some markers and colored in the chick's eyes and nose for a bit more color and hung him on the door.

2 comments:

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog and leave a comment, it means the world to me!