Tuesday, May 1, 2012

A Garden Transformation

When we moved into our house about 7 years ago, our house needed some "TLC."  It had sat empty for awhile before we bought it and it needed some cleaning and love so that we could move in.  We took care of the waist high yard and cut down some of the trees that were growing in random places throughout the yard, but that is about all we did with the landscaping that first year.  We focused more of our attention on the inside of the house.  Over the last few years though, we have put in several flower beds and worked on maintain those.  All that time there is an area of the yard that bothered me.  It was our front flower bed.  It was large and covered with large stones and had just a couple of random bushes in it.  The bushes that were there didn't go together and they seemed to be random thoughts of the previous owners (you know, "huh, guess this looks nice, I'll plant it....here).  There was no order, method, or warmth to the flower bed.  The first thing to go in the flower bed was a barberry bush.  I don't have anything against them when they are planted in the right place, but this one was right where kids were destined to run into its painful thorns.  The next thing I decide was that I never really liked it and it just felt cold and uninviting to me.  I had nothing against the stones that were there and there are many stone gardens that are beautiful, but this one just didn't go with the house and it wasn't the feel that I wanted for our entryway.  I decided that I really wanted to make my flower bed into more of a sustainable garden and less of a flower bed.  So we started digging out the rock and planning out what to plant.  I used frames from my hubby's work to start my sustainable garden and that is where I planted my herbs.  Last year, we tried growing more veggies up in the sustainable garden bed, but they didn't do so well.  So this year we added some plants and flowers to it as well as some veggies that we could plant already and we will be planting more herbs and veggies in the front sustainable garden as soon as the weather breaks for good.  It is our front garden that is a true work in progress.  I am still researching sustainable gardens and trying to figure out what will grow best out there, but for now I thought I would show some before and after during pictures of my rock bed transformed into a garden area.

The rock garden at the beginning.

Rocks gone, porch mostly gone and in planning stages.  You can see my frames I use for my herbs.

A new walk way and the patio in process.

My talented hubby built my trellis out of leftover material so that my grapes have a place to grow.

My front garden early this spring after planting some bulbs...we are patiently waiting for it to grow and see how it turns out this year.

6 comments:

  1. Oh how pretty! It's like one of those makeover shows! I know you'll enjoy this.

    Thanks so much for joining Flock Together this week at Mom’s Best Nest !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mikki! It could have been one of those makeover shows because it was an extreme before and after. :) Now if I can just remember to take a pic when it is in full bloom.

      Delete
  2. Wow, it looks great! Nice work, I'm a new follower from a Tuesday blog hop, feel free to follow me back at http://iheartpears.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I will be stopping by to check out your blog.

      Delete
  3. As always - hat's off to you and J's creativity and hard work.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog and leave a comment, it means the world to me!