Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Jealousy

So I have never been very good at just doing one thing at a time and that includes reading books.  I usually read multiple books at once, doesn't everyone?  Anyway one of the books I am currently reading is for one of our Women's Bible Studies at my church.  The book is "Managing Your Moods" from the Women of Faith Study Guide Series.  This thin little book is packed full of many nuggets of wisdom.  The chapter I have been working on this month for our study is called "The Green-Eyed Monster."  When I first started reading I thought that it would be a pretty easy chapter because I thought I didn't really struggle with jealousy too much, but I was completely wrong.  Jealousy isn't just a longing for what others have, it is an attitude of "what about me" and "it isn't fair for me..."  That hit home pretty hard.  How many times have I complained that I have too much to do, I have too many things to take care of, I feel overwhelmed....me, me, me.  I am guilty of wanting more free time, more help, more sympathy and I am guilty of trying to make my situation sound worse than it is when I really have it pretty good.  I shouldn't be complaining or wanting things that I don't need like more free time when the truth is I would just waste it.  I should be serving others, reading my Bible, and doing the things that God has called me to do.  The book pointed out that "jealousy brings with it other emotions - envy, resentment, bitterness, covetousness."  Is that who I really want to be?  No, because that is not living my best.  Those emotions that come with jealousy is the world creeping in and taking over my life.  I have to stomp down those emotions and jealousy so that they don't take over and ruin what I work for every day, a closer walk with God.  Allowing the littlest bit of jealousy to enter into my thoughts, opens the door for the other emotions and they will quickly take over and throw me off the path of God and that is the last thing that I want.  We have to constantly pray that God helps us see that what we have is more than enough, it is exactly what He wants us to have and if we need more He will give it to us.  God knows exactly what we need and exactly when we need it.  When we are struggling with jealousy, then we are wanting what God has not given to us and saying that He doesn't know our needs which is absolutely not true.  The way to combat jealousy is to serve others more.  It sounds overwhelming, but we know that more we give the more God will renew us.

Galatians 6:9  "We must not get tired of doing good. We will receive our harvest of eternal life at the right time. We must not give up."
Luke 6:38 "Give to others, and you will receive. You will be given much. It will be poured into your hands--more than you can hold. You will be given so much that it will spill into your lap. The way you give to others is the way God will give to you."

So the next time the Green-Eyed Monster threatens to take over, stomp it down, pray, and tell it you have no use for it.  Then go out and give to others in some way - bake cookies, send an encouraging note, surprise a friend with coffee - just go lift up someone else and you will be lifted too.

3 comments:

  1. I will have to get this book! It sounds like a wonderful read! Thanks for leaving a comment so I could find you! Have a blessed week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Green-Eyed Monster - gotta kill it quickly. Sounds like something to spray Roundup on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! Guess I am going to have to keep the Roundup on hand so the jealousy never grows. :)

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog and leave a comment, it means the world to me!