Friday, May 25, 2012

Ripping Out the Seams

My latest project that I have undertaken is making some dresses for Baby Bear. I originally learned to sew on a sewing machine a bazillion years ago as a project in elementary school. I have always been intrigued by sewing my own clothes and when we had a little girl I knew that someday I would sew something for her too. My issue is that it has been FOREVER since I sewed on a machine from a pattern and it makes me really nervous because of course I want my project to be perfect. So this week I have spent time reading my pattern, figuring it out, and preparing to make a (what should be simple) dress for Baby Bear. I cut apart the pattern pieces, laid them out on the fabric, pinned them down, and cut out my pattern. I even learned how to use interfacing (that was a new one for me). Then it was time for the part I had to psych myself up for...the actual sewing. It isn't that I don't think that I can sew the dress, it is the fact that it may not be perfect. You see in my head I can see the finished dress and it is perfect without any flaws, but I know that in reality the dress won't be perfect, it will have a flaw or two. As I started sewing today, I quickly realized that I was going to need my seam ripper (I might have a lead foot). I sat there ripping out the stitches that didn't go exactly as I had planned and I realized that I could either sit there taking the stitches out being mad or I could sit there taking the stitches out being glad. I chose to be glad. No it wasn't fun to take out the stitches, but as I was ripping out the wrong stitches, I was glad to get a chance to fix my mistakes. I was glad to have the opportunity to right my wrongs and have a second (or even third) chance to get my sewing right. The more I thought about the mistakes I made sewing the more God showed me ripping out the stitches and fixing my mistakes is like the work He does in our life. When we do something wrong, God lovingly corrects us and reguides our path to help us get back on track. He rips out the wrong stitches and prepares the material to be sewed on again. He corrects us hoping we have learned from our mistakes, but He knows that sometimes we will make the same mistake several times. He doesn't give up when we don't get it right the first time, instead He continues to lovingly correct us until we do get it right. Realizing this is what made me glad about ripping out the stitches I messed up on. I am so glad that God doesn't give us just one chance to get it right and that He doesn't give up on us when we don't get it right the second time or the third time. He just waits patiently while continuing to guide us in the right direction and for that I am thankful.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog and leave a comment, it means the world to me!