Monday, July 16, 2012

Still a Slacker

I completely and totally apologize for being a blogging bum this summer. I admit that I had great expectations to post a couple of times a week, put up some great tutorials, and just be an awesome blogger. See, I had great things planned for you? Then I went and let you down. Okay, some of it is just me and my lack to completing my to do list each week because blogging is on that list (EVERY single week) and the other part is due to my lack of techie knowledge. You see we upgraded to an IPad2 and Safari (the Apple browser) doesn't want to play nicely with Blogger (my blog host). I have tried figuring it out a little bit, but not enough, I really need to do some more reseach on this whole topic. Then our big dinosaur computer (the big, giant, old desktop) decided to crash and not turn on anymore. So while we work on fixing that, I have to either not post pictures or have access to a different computer (other than my Ipad) which I have not had lately. I hope that and my laziness explains some of my absence. The other part of my absence is that my brain is on overload. Here is my proof or a list of great things we have done so far this summer (in no particular order even though they are numbered)....
(1.) A road trip to Ikea - so well worth the long drive in the ol' mini-van. The nearest Ikea is about 2 1/2 hours away. We planned our shopping (for weeks...okay, okay, months), made the list, checked it twice, and only purchased a couple of unplanned items. They were unplanned as far as the list goes, but they were planned for eventually. It turns out that eventually ended up being that day. My very loving and very patient hubby thought I had set up the sets in our mini van right and that we could move them around once we got there and had the van all loaded (including the kids), but turns out that our seats are as interchangeable as I thought. So we had to unload everything, do a lot of praying, and start reloading the van. I am positive God helped everything fit just with only inches to spare, but we made it back home safe and sound and with one extremely packed mini-van.
 (2.) We finally got around to re-doing Buddy Bear's bedroom. I admit I had a hard time choking back the tears as I saw my step-dad trimming out room with the new paint color. I had one of those flash back moments where you can see everything so clearly. As I stood and watched my step-dad paint for a few moments, I could see him and I painting that room 7 years ago and preparing it for an almost 2 year old. I could see the look on Buddy Bear's little toddler face as he walked in and saw his very own room for the first time. So yeah, this really sentimental Mama had a hard time seeing the new brown color being put on the walls. We tore off the wallpaper border, painted the room, removed the carpet, installed a floating floor (hardwood floor overlay), put in a new bed, and put up decorations. It took about a week, but Buddy Bear finally has a brand new room that has a hunting lodge theme. I am really happy with how it came out and when I can post pictures, I will.
 (3.) Helped with Vacation Bible School at church - This year our church did something different and had family fun nights every Wednesday in June instead of having a week-long VBS. The Wednesday nights were pretty sucessful and we ended up having a lot of salvation and assurance decisions over the month of June.
(4.) Hosted Buddy Bear's birthday party - A lot of fun with friends and family.
(5.) Heat wave - we have been having a seriously HOT summer here in the Mid-west. A couple of weeks ago it was in the hundred's (straight temperature) for several days in a row. That meant the heat index was well over 100. I believe the one day it was as high as 110. We haven't had a summer that hot for awhile now. It was 100 degrees by 10:00 in the morning and didn't cool down each night until well after midnight. It made for a really long couple of weeks and a lot of time hiding in the cool of our basement. We don't have air conditioning (by choice) and we spent our days playing in the basement, hanging out at the library, going to the pool, and shopping. Our basement stays nice and cool in the summer and that is where you can find us when it is too hot out. This week is threatening to be another hot one, but this time we are prepared. Some friends gave us a little above ground pool and while it isn't huge, it is plenty big to cool off in and hopefully teach Baby Bear to swim in. Along with the heat wave, we are in the middle of a drought. It hasn't rained here since before the 4th of July and then it was only for a couple of hours. Some places in this area saw rain on Saturday, but we just watched the clouds roll through. It was pretty cool because we could see the storm front and got to watch it develop as it moved to the north of us. I could keep going, but that would make this post even longer, so I think I will create a part 2....stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog and leave a comment, it means the world to me!