Monday, November 26, 2012

Thankful

Since we just had Thanksgiving, I have been doing a lot of thinking about what I am thankful for.  I am thankful for many things and I have been trying to post on my Facebook page something that I am thankful for each day.  I believe that a heart of gratitude makes you a happier person and it helps to see the things to be thankful for in situations where you normally wouldn't be thankful.  For example one day recently, I had just spent 45 minutes sweeping and mopping my floors and had no sooner put the mop away when both my kids ran in from playing outside to get something to drink.  While I was mopping they had been playing through where the garden was and it had rained the day before so the garden area was muddy.  After the kids got something to drink and went back outside, I looked all around the floor to see muddy footprints.  Sure I was frustrated and my first thought was to start complaining and grumbling, but then I decided to look for something to be thankful for.  As I looked around I thought about the muddy footprints and realized how thankful I am for healthy kids who are able to play outside and who love to play outside.  As I was thinking about all the things I am thankful for I decided I would post my top five things I am thankful for here to share with you.

  1. God - I am thankful that I have accepted the gift of salvation that God has offered to me by the death of Jesus Christ on the cross.  God is always with me, always watching me, and always offering grace and mercy to me.  I am thankful that the Gospel was presented to me and that I invited Jesus Christ into my life and serve Him every day.
  2. Husband - I am so very thankful that God brought my husband into my life over 17 years ago and that we got married 14 years ago.  My husband is an amazing man who is kind, caring, thoughtful, loving, devoted, hot (yep, had to throw that one in there), and my best friend.  He has stuck with me all these years without complaint and he supports me in all I do.  I love him more than I could ever even begin to explain.
  3. Kids - I am so thankful for the 2 beautiful gifts that God has blessed my hubby and I with.  My kids are my heart and soul.  They make me laugh, cry, worry, smile, pray, get gray hair, shake my head, wonder, and I wouldn't have it any other way.  They are funny, loving, kind, smart, absolutely adorable, and gifts from God.  
  4. Family - I am thankful for my family.  We haven't always all had good relationships, but we are in a great place now and we really do owe that to God.  He has done a lot of healing in the relationships of family members and I am truly thankful for every family relationship we have.
  5. Church - I am thankful for the church we attend.  It is a wonderful, Bible teaching church that has activities and classes for all ages.  Our church works hard to make people feel welcome and to get people involved in all the activities we have going on.  I remember the first time we went there it was for my brother-in-law's wedding and the pastor made it a point to get to know us even though we had never been there.  Then 8 months later when my other brother-in-law got married there, the pastor remembered us and invited us to service there.  We started going to church there and haven't looked back.  We have made some wonderful friends and really enjoy serving in several different areas of the church.  We love our church and are so thankful for the pastors, their wives, their families, and the rest of our church staff too.
These are the top five things I am thankful for right now.  I encourage you to look around and find something that you are thankful for every day.  Start looking for things to be thankful for in the situations where it doesn't seem like there is anything to be thankful for.  What are you thankful for today?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog and leave a comment, it means the world to me!