Monday, November 16, 2015

Cutting the Monday Madness

Mondays never really seem to be very fun, but I have found that it helps if I am prepared for the day.  I may not wake up bright and chipper every day, but I do wake up with goals in mind of what I want to accomplish each day.  I usually have a list of things I need to get done, a list of what extra things I would like to get done that day, and a list of on going projects to be worked on.  It sounds like a lot to do, but I am really just talking about breaking down the to-do list and making it manageable.  My Monday might look like this:

Have To Do:
School
Grading
Dinner
Dishes
A load of laundry (notice I just aim to get 1 load done, I try to do one load a day)

Would like to also work on:
Vacuum
Sweep
Take out trash
Dust
Cleaning the mirrors and glass doors
Go through mail from the weekend
Zone Mission (I use the FlyLady system for cleaning so I follow her mission plans, check it out.)

On Going Projects:
Cleaning out the pantry
Craft projects
Rearranging the cabinets
Deep cleaning a room

I have found that separating what has to be done from what I wish I could accomplish in a day takes a lot of the stress off of me and I don't feel the need to be Super Woman and try and accomplish everything all in one day, especially on a Monday.  Mondays are the day everyone tends to drag and just feel sluggish.  They use to be horrible for me because I tried to get a week's worth of things done in one day and never accomplished half of the things on my list.  I just set myself up for failure.  I realized, I can't do it all.  Even the tasks I have listed I don't do all by myself.  I do have my kids help me with chores.  It isn't wrong, it is teaching them how to care for their home someday and it teaches them responsibility.

One of the tasks we have on Mondays (and every week day during our school year) is school.  This year I knew I needed to do a better job of staying on top of our school and being ready.  If I am ready for each school day and I have my part ready to go, it encourages the kids to have their stuff ready to go for school.  We do school, for the most part, at our dining room table which is right in front of our patio door.  We do have a room in our basement we use too, but I have found it easier and less distracting to work at the table for everyone.  I started something this year that is really working for me.  We use our patio door as our "chalkboard" all the time.  I used to use window markers on them, but I didn't like the way they clean off the glass or rather that they don't clean off the glass very well at all so I started using washable markers instead.  The washable markers clean off the glass well and don't leave near as much residue.   Anyway, every morning before school starts (or sometimes the night before if I am really on it) I make a list of what books/subjects each child needs to bring to school for the day.  This way there is no guessing, no forgetting to bring a book, or lost time spent searching for the books we need.  This has cut a lot of the madness out of our school days.  The kids know exactly which books they need and which subjects we will be working on.  This is what our patio door looks like on school days:

I am finding that it is the little things of being prepared that are really helping our days to go smoothly, especially on Mondays.  It doesn't seem to take as much time as I thought it would to plan ahead and it really is a huge blessing to have things already ready.  Next week I will share another way I help our days go smoother.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog and leave a comment, it means the world to me!