Monday, January 25, 2016

Cutting the Mommy Madness

It is Monday again already and the weekend just flew by.  It seems the clock moves even faster over the weekend and the alarm is going off on Monday morning before I even got anything done from my list, but that is okay, it is life and that is how it goes.  It seems I always have a to do list a bazillion miles long and never enough time to get it all done.  I guess that is all just part of being a mom, a wife, a teacher, a friend, a cook, a seamstress, a housekeeper, and all the other roles around my house I fulfill.  Honestly, I used to get very frustrated that I never got my to do list finished and I let it get under my skin.  I was grouchy, moody, angry, and just FRUSTRATED when I couldn't get everything done on my list.  This lead to me being grouchy, moody, angry, and just FRUSTRATED with my family and I wasn't giving them the best of me, but only showing them the worst of me which in turn made me feel like a terrible mom, wife, friend....  God helped me see that this doesn't have to be my every day.  There are things I can do to make my day go better, get things marked off the to do list, and be a better, happier person.

How do I cut out the Mommy Madness?

  1. I PRAY.  I go directly to my Heavenly Father and pour my heart out.  I need His help and I can't do life without Him.  I need God to show me what things I can change, what things I need to give up, and what things He can change or help me change.  

  2. I READ MY BIBLE.  I do my best to spend at least 10-15 minutes a day reading my Bible.  I can't let God work through me efficiently if I don't know His Word.  "Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee."  Psalm 119: 11  I can't follow this verse if I am not studying the word on a daily basis.

  3. I GET UP EARLY.  This step isn't for everyone, but it works for me.  I like to have a little quiet time in the morning before everyone is up.  This is my time I spend praying, reading my Bible, and enjoying a cup of coffee.  My kids are a little older now so I am not up and down through out the night with them so I can set my alarm for early in the morning.  I have to confess - I am NOT a morning person, but when I don't get up and have quiet time before my kids are up, I feel off balance.  

  4. I GO TO BED AT A REASONABLE TIME.  Again, I know this doesn't work for everyone, but I can tell you I don't function well when I am sleep deprived.  No sleep = grouchy Cassandra and grouchy Cassandra = grouchy kids + grouchy hubby and grouchy family = bad day.  So the solution to this is to get enough sleep and the only way to do that is turn off the Netflix and get myself in bed even when I really, really want to know what happens on the next episode.

  5. I MAKE LISTS.  I use to make lists that were unattainable.  They carried over day after day and every time I got one thing done, I was adding something else that needed to get done.  Lists were super frustrating to me.  I was complaining about this years ago to a friend and she gave me a tip that I use every day now and it makes my lists attainable.  The tip was pick the top 5 things you need to get done for that day and write down only those things.  If you cross them off, you can add more items, but no more than 5 things should be on your list at a time.  I stick to this and my lists are much more attainable which just makes me happy.
    My to do list for today...it is blurry, but you get the idea.
  6. I TAKE A LITTLE ME TIME EVERY DAY.  Between homeschooling, managing the house, running errands, keeping appointments, and everything else I do, I could easily get overwhelmed it I don't give myself a little time to recharge every day.  Sometimes I get this time in the early morning, sometimes it is after my hubby gets home after work, but whenever it is, it is my time to let my brain relax and just unwind.  Sometimes I catch a show on Netflix, sometimes I read, and sometimes I craft it just depends on my mood.  I make a point to take a few minutes each day and do this without feeling guilty so that I don't get overburdened with the day to day tasks.  
    My current craft project, cross stitch wolves for my son.

    A recent crochet project, my first full size afghan for my bedroom.
This is what I do to help cut the mommy madness in my life.  I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE being a mom, it is amazing.  It isn't always easy, but I have figured out what I need to do for me to be a happy mom and serve my family better.  What do you do to cut the mommy madness?  What tips do you have for me?

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE reading your hearing what's on your heart and mind. The mommy madness and how do I manage it, can't say I succeed everyday. But let's see....
    1. Spending time in God's word is how I always start my day as well.....it has done wonders for me giving the Lord His time first.
    2. When I'm feeling stressed or I've heard a few to many....Hey Mom's and I'm getting a little overwhelmed I run, run and run. I know that running isn't for everyone but I guess that's my "Me" time as well.
    3. I've learned to delegate tasks over the years. Now that my boys are older I want them to learn how to cook, clean and treat their wives someday by helping out their mom.
    4. I listen to music....it inspires me to get motivated, to calm down, to give it the Lord, to answer questions calmly, to let some things go. I Love music!!

    Love you Cassandra!! You're an amazing, mom, wife, friend, teacher, sister, and role-model!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are great as well. I also forgot to mention that I have the most AMAZING friends ever that keep me grounded and feeling loved. My besties are FANTASTIC and they help me function every day. Now if I could only convince my brain to start that running... Love you Crystal!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog and leave a comment, it means the world to me!