Friday, April 1, 2016

5 Days of Tips for Homeschool Parents: Relax

We have chatted a lot this week.  I, along with my other blogging friends on the Schoolhouse Review Crew have been giving you all kinds of tips to help you out in your homeschool.  So far on this blog we have discussed being flexible, not comparing, scheduling, and  support, but today I want to discuss something different.  I want to discuss you, the homeschooling parent.  I don't know if you are a mom or a dad, but let me encourage you today.


Dear Homeschool Moms and Dads,
You work hard every day.  Not only are you a mom or a dad, you are a teacher, a cook, a chauffeur, a nurse, a maid, a tutor, a personal assistant, and so much more.  You are with your kids almost all the time and you are tired.  You don't get to go home when your teaching job is done for the day, you just get to switch roles to being a parent.  It can be exhausting.  Don't give up, you are doing great!  No today probably didn't go as planned, but tomorrow is a new day, a day to try again.  RELAX!!!  I know, I know you are thinking there is no time to relax.  There are laundry mountains and those dishes aren't going to wash themselves, but take a minute to take a breath and see the beauty in the moment.  That mountain of laundry means there are many that are loved in your home.  Those dishes mean you had food to eat today.  I know you look around and see only messes, trust me I look around my house and see the messes too, but I know those will be gone one day and my children will be grown all too soon.  So RELAX!!!  Take the time to enjoy playing dolls or building with Legos, those offers won't be extended for forever.  When you hear "Will you read this to me?" say yes even though your hands are filled with soap suds.  Sit down and color a picture together, it will be okay if dinner is 10 minutes late.  RELAX!!!  I know it feels like your child is never going to get that math concept.  I know you have researched teaching it 10 different ways and they are still struggling with it.  It might not make sense to your child today, but it will click eventually.  Slow down and read an extra chapter of that book your child really likes from their curriculum even if it isn't on the schedule because it encourages their love of reading.  Go ahead and close the science book early so that you can go outside and find a real flower to teach them the parts of.  This is your school to run how it best fits your family and it is okay if it doesn't look like my school because my school is what fits us.  RELAX!!!  Take a few moments to collect your thoughts, this might mean you get up 10 minutes earlier or go to bed 10 minutes later or assign the kids 10 minutes of quiet time, but you need a break to let your mind rest.  Try to do something you love every day, read a chapter of a book, work on a craft, bake something, or go for a run, whatever helps you feel refreshed and relaxed.  You might only get a few minutes to do this so grab a cup of coffee, tea, or water and enjoy those few minutes.  A burnout parent is not an effective parent or teacher.  We all get burnout and need to recharge so take a few minutes and relax.  The world is chaotic enough, we don't need to be chaotic too.  We don't do any good when we are stressed out and ready to jump off the dining room table, I know I've been ready to jump off my dining room table too.  Do your family a favor and spend a few minutes each day loving you, they love you and they want you to be able to relax.  RELAX!!!  The world is busy enough and tries to get us to race through every day.  Slow down, take it all in, and look for the little "aha" moments of each day.  They are there, I promise.  Sometimes we just get too busy to see them.  So take a moment, breathe, and soak it all in because all too soon this season of your life will be behind you.  Just relax and know that if you are trying, you are doing an AWESOME job.  Not every day will be perfect and if today is absolutely falling apart and you find yourself wanting to pull your hair out,  it will be okay, tomorrow is a new day and a chance to try again.  Be kind to you, love you, and relax because you deserve it.
Hugs,
Cassandra - A Homeschool Mom who has survived 7 years of homeschooling.

This week I am participating in a blog hop with my Schoolhouse Review Crew friends.  We are all sharing all kinds of tips for you on all kinds of different subjects.  Each day I will be leaving you links to different Schoolhouse Review Crew blogs.  Please go and check them out.  The Crew is AMAZING and they have great tips to share with you this week.  Today you should check out the following blogs:
Annette @ A Net In Time
Brandy @ Kingdom Academy Homeschool
Brenda @ Counting Pinecones
Carol @ Home Sweet Life
Chareen @ Every Bed of Roses
Cristi @ Through the Calm and Through the Storm
Crystal @ Crystal Starr
DaLynn @ Biblical Womanhood
Danielle @ Sensible Whimsy

Also you can check out more tips at our Schoolhouse Review Crew Blog by clicking on this picture:
5 Days of Tips for Homeschool Parents

4 comments:

  1. I'm a mom who has been home schooling 24 years. I was really stressing over my remaining student, a 10th grader. I knew he was reading well, but we seldom covered grammar, and he seldom wrote compositions. He took a test to see if he could dual enroll in college, and his scores said he was at college level in English and reading! (Not math, but no surprise there.) Made this mama's heart glad.

    But I still find it hard to relax. He is not well motivated to do his school work, and I can't do it for him... ::sigh::

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think sometimes we underestimate how much they have learned. Glad your son did so well and sometimes we have to prod them to finish. :)

      Delete
  2. I must remind myself of this at least once a month. I know this is true, but it's so easy to get caught up in stressing about how your kids are doing!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so easy to spend so much time worrying about how they are doing and I have certainly been guilty of that. It is in those moments that we have to focus on the positive of what they know for sure, they will get the rest eventually.

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog and leave a comment, it means the world to me!