Wednesday, May 18, 2016

Summer Reading 2016

summer reading
Hello my name is Cassandra and I am addicted to reading.  There I said it.  I can admit I have a problem and that is the first step right?  I do have to admit that my problem runs pretty deep and I am okay with that.  I have always loved reading and if I didn’t have anything else to do during my day, I could certainly spend it curled up with a book.  My current problem is that I have a little bit of an attention problem when it comes to reading.  I go to the library get several books and then can’t decide which one to start with (unless it is part of a series) and so I start more than one…insert sheepish grin here.  Please tell me that I am not all alone on this one.  Who else is like me and is reading more than one book at a time?  Anyone?  Okay if you want to admit you are like me and join my short attention span book club let me know.  Anyway, now that I told you my secrets about my reading habits, let me tell you what I am currently reading and what is coming up next on the shelf. 

Currently Reading
  • What Happens When Women Walk in Faith by Lysa TerKeurst - I read this book in the spring of last year and I picked up to re-read at the end of last year.  I am working through it again because it has SO much good stuff in it.  Every time I pick up this book and start reading I feel like I get something out of this book, something I didn't see before or a new understanding of some Scripture.  It is a book that I pick up and read some and then set it down and let the words sink in.  I recently have picked it up again and made it through several chapters.  I am hoping to finish it by the end of May.
  • Be Sweet by Diann Hunt – This is just a fun inspirational fiction book I picked from the library.  I am not too far into it yet, but I really enjoy the author’s humor and I am looking forward to seeing where she is going with the characters.  I have an idea of where she is going, but I always love to see if the plot twists or turns like I think it might.
  • The Glass Castle by Trisha White Priebe & Jerry B. Jenkins – This is a book we are currently reading for a review.  I picked it for my son to read, but then it sounded so good that I couldn’t help picking it up to read.  Look for more info on this on in the near future in a review.
  • I’m Not Wonder Woman But God Made Me Wonderful! by Sheila Walsh – I have a terrible Wonder Woman complex.  You know that I can do it all belief that leads us to so much trouble.  The one that makes us over commit, compare, and feel guilty all at the same time.  That is me.  My hubby is always very lovingly telling me to take off my cape.  I thought this would be a great book to help me see that I am not Wonder Woman even though I try to be and just maybe I would learn to let her go.
  • The 7-Day Doubt Diet by Renee Swope – This is one I got on Amazon for free.  I have been reading it occasionally, but I am really loving what I am reading.  It is another one that I read a few pages of and then have to let those pages digest and speak to me.  It is really thought provoking and I am looking forward to finishing it.
Books to be Read
  • Penny Wise by Dave and Neta Jackson – This is book 3 of the Windy City Neighbors series and I am loving this series.  I already finished books 1 and 2 of the series and can’t wait to pick this one up.  I loved Neta Jackson from the first book of her Yada Yada Prayer Group Series.  I really love how she develops her characters and they move with her from book to book.  When I picked up the first book in the Windy City Neighbors Series, I was delighted to find one of the Yada Yada ladies as a character and that the books were connected (don’t worry you can read the 2 series separate from each other).  I can’t wait to pick up this book and get lost in it.  I am trying very hard to finish at least one of the other books I am reading first.
  • Pound Foolish by Dave and Neta Jackson – This is book 4 of the Windy City Neighbors series and I will definitely be reading it….SOON.
  • A Mom After God’s Own Heart by Elizabeth George – As a mom I am always looking for things I can improve on and things I can do to help my children as they grow.  I am looking forward to digging into this book to see what Elizabeth George has to say on this subject.
  • The Love Dare for Parents by Stephen and Alex Kendrick – I LOVE the movie Fireproof so when I saw this book at the library I was intrigued.  I want my children to know I love them without a doubt and to help them grow Spiritually.  I think this is going to be a great resource for that.  I already love doing little things for them, but I want to be even more intentional about it and I think this book will help.
  • Taming the To-Do List: How to Choose Your Best Work Every Day by Glynnis Whitwer – I started this book last year as part of a Proverbs 31 Bible Study, but I have to admit the Bible study moved too fast for me and I got behind and I had to put this book on hold.  This year I am ready to tackle this book again, but at my speed.  I know it has great things in it and I am looking forward to reading it again.
  • The Money Saving Mom’s Budget by Crystal Paine - I am looking forward to reading this one.  I shared our huge news of paying off my student loans here and I can't tell you how exciting this is for our family.  It is HUGE to not be strapped down to that debt anymore.  Now my brain is churning about what else we can pay off/pay down.  I think this book will help me focus on that and help us find extra money we didn't even know we had.
  • Unglued by Lysa TerKeurst - I have had this one on my bookshelf for awhile and I truly intend to read it this year as I have heard lots of wonderful things about it.
This is just the start of my summer reading.  I am POSITIVE I will be adding more books to this list.  This list definitely does not include all the books I read with my kiddos.  We always participate in summer reading programs at our local library so we do lots of summer reading.  I may not get to read much during the school year due to our reading heavy curriculum, but I try to make up for it in the summer time.  I am on Goodreads if you would like to add me as a friend to see what else I am reading.  I do try and update it a few times a week.  GoodReads is a website where you can track what you are reading, you can get book recommendations, and you can find books that you want to read.  I am not super familiar with Goodreads, but I am learning more every time I am on there.  What is on your reading list this summer?  Have you read any of these books?  Are you on Goodreads?

6 comments:

  1. I didn't realize there were more books published from the Windy City Series. I read the first one, but my library doesn't carry the other ones or I just have never seen them on the shelf when I checked. I am going to have to search the online catalogue. :) I enjoy Dave and Neta Jackson's writing too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad I am not the only fan. Just hoping they are working on more.

      Delete
  2. haven't heard of most of these. Enjoy your reading. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am afraid that my pile would resemble yours if I were to actually put it all in the same place! Looks like a great line up and there are a couple on there that I need to add to by "want to" list. - Lori

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was only part of the pile that I could find quickly. I have a problem... :)

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog and leave a comment, it means the world to me!