Tuesday, August 23, 2016

A Dresser Makeover

I may not have completed every project on my Summer list, but I did manage to finish a couple.  Today I want to share one of the projects I completed with you.
Here is the before picture when we had to more the dresser as we were re-doing the kitchen floor.
Years and years ago some one gave us a dresser.  The drawers in it didn't slide right, but the person who gave it to us knew my hubby is pretty handy and he could probably fix it.  So we took the dresser and over the years it has lived in a few different spots in our house, but the drawers never got completely fixed.  It still functioned, but I worried every time someone pulled one of them out that the drawer would slip off track and come crashing down on someone's foot.  This dresser is waist high and had drawers that were really long and wide.  These drawers were also heavy, thankfully they never fell on anyone's foot so I don't know for sure, but I would guess they were heavy enough to break bones in the feet.  We ended up using the dresser for storage.  We stored things like party supplies, take out menus, phone books, candles, table clothes....really it was just sort of a hiding place for all the stuff you don't know what to do with.  It took up a good chunk of area without serving a lot of purpose and over the years I would look at it and think, "I bet I could make that dresser more useful."
The paint I used to match the bookcase (excuse the mess) and corner shelf I painted a few years ago.
A couple of years ago we got a desktop computer again.  We knew we would need the computer for school more as the kids got older so we got one that we could easily move around our house.  It typically sat on a small desk in our bedroom, but the more school work we were doing on the computer and the more blogging I started doing, we realized that our bedroom was not a great place for the computer.  We wanted our computer in a more central location without putting it downstairs in the basement.  The more I thought about where I wanted our computer to live, the more I thought about that dresser.   Can you guess where I am going?  Yep, I turned our dresser into a computer desk for us with a little help from Buddy and the Handsome Hubby.

I cleaned out the dresser and find better spots for all the "stuff" in the dresser and took the drawers out of the dresser before we moved it to the garage.

Of course I picked a super HOT day to do this you know so the paint would dry faster...not because I have bad timing.  Anyway once the dresser was in the garage, I began by deciding what I wanted the dresser to look like in the end and this required removing the decorative wood piece at the bottom of the dresser and removing the pieces of wood between the drawers.  Buddy was happy to help with this part!  Hubby helped me remove the drawer slides as the screws were stripped out and I couldn't get them out by myself.  The next step was to lightly sand the entire shell of the dresser I was left with.  This helps the primer stick a little better and it helps even out the rough spots.  After sanding, I primed the front, sides, top, and inside of the dresser/desk with a good chalk based primer.

Primed and ready for paint
 A day or two later, I painted the desk with my paint color.  I used Rust-Oleum Metallic Accents in Scarlet Red as my paint color.  I used this color on a bookshelf and two corner shelf in my living room so I wanted the desk to match.  I painted on the first coat and let it dry for a day.  The next day while I was cooking dinner, Hubby put on the second coat of paint.  Then it was time to bring the desk back in and get it in position.  Right now we don't have a shelf inside it store our keyboard or pens, but we have thought about it.  We are just a little undecided about it so we are seeing how the desk works for awhile and may add the shelf eventually.  I love how it turned out and I love that our computer sits in a central location now.

The finished desk (sorry for the computer glare).
What do you think?  Have you ever performed a furniture makeover?


10 comments:

  1. looks great...you did a fantastic job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found this to be really interesting and it has me looking at one of our dressers in a whole new light now.... Inspiring ideas...now to figure out how to pin this so I find it again...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to see your project if you do a makeover on it.

      Delete
  3. very nice job! Love the color you used. My daughter has a large desk in her room - the kind that teachers used to have in the 70s. LOL It's wonderful and sturdy but the finish is very beat up, so we've thought about repainting it in a fun and funky color, but so far we haven't agreed on the color! Also, it was a horrible pain to move up the stairs so we would have to do the refinish IN her room. LOL You've given me some good ideas for future projects with this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!!! Picking a color can be the hardest part. Lucky for me, I knew I wanted this one to match pieces in the living room already because it is on a weird wall that I want to give the illusion that it is part of the living room.

      Delete
  4. Ooh look at you! We have a few pieces that I know could be better if someone knew how to update them. I'm not handy like that...yet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was very nervous about the first piece I did a makeover on years ago, but ultimately I had to remind myself it was just paint and if I hated it I could change it. The first piece I did was something I picked up at a resale shop so there was no emotional attachment to it. Pinterest always helps with figuring it out too.

      Delete
  5. We almost did this to one of ours last week. We decided it didn't quite meet our needs that way but yours? Looks absolutely fantastic and perfect for what you needed. Love the color. - Lori

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!!! I would love to see how yours turns out if you decide to alter it.

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog and leave a comment, it means the world to me!