Friday, September 23, 2016

Choosing Encouragement Over Discouragement

I so wanted to post something fun here on Fridays, but today I am choosing to put off my normal Friday Fun and be very real and honest with you.  I even had a video blog ready, a cupcake tutorial, and a couple of other fun things to choose from for my normal Friday Fun, but I am choosing to go in a different direction today.  God has really laid it on my heart lately that I need to be real, genuine, and transparent in my daily life and today I am letting that flow over to my blog.
A Glimpse of Normal Blog
We have been really busy lately as we just have a lot going on, a lot coming up, and a lot of things we need to get done for life, school, blogging, and around the house.  Right now the list just seems never ending and when I get one thing crossed off, I am adding another and it rolls through my brain constantly.  Add that to gardening and canning, roof leaks, getting vehicles fixed, church activities, horse lessons, piano lessons, housework, and so on....   I am not complaining about doing any of these things because I do love doing them.  My brain gets so overwhelmed that I just go into Super Girl mode which isn't very effective because even though I try to get it all done, I just end up with a bunch of unfinished things, lost sleep, and fires to put out.  Who's with me?  It's a vicious cycle once I let it start because then I start figuring out what parts of my routine I can skip.  Unfortunately all too often when I am in Super Girl mode, my devotions get cut short and instead of spending 20-30 minutes soaking in God's word, I spend 5-10 and just grab a glimpse of what God is saying.  This leads to the devil trying to get in and throw me off which is exactly what I was feeling last night and early this morning.  The devil kept trying to tell me I was too busy to study God's word, I was too busy to even think about getting everything done, give up, quit trying, people are too busy to spend time with you, you are lonely, and on and on and on....  Normally I would fall into a pity party and just start feeling terrible, but not this time.  This time instead of listening to the discouragement and wallowing in it, I really started thinking about it.  Is that what I want to listen to?  NO!  The more I told myself I didn't want to hear these lies from the devil, the more encouraging things that popped into my head from Bible verses to songs to just knowing how much God loves me and knowing that while life is really busy right now, I have plenty of time.  I can't do it on my own but I can get everything done with Jesus' help.

It still blows my mind that I went to bed last night feeling discouraged, but before I fell asleep I prayed for help and prayed that I wouldn't feel so discouraged.  I woke up with the lyrics to Turn Your Eyes Upon Jesus running through my head.  The chorus says;

 "Turn your eyes upon Jesus, Look full in His wonderful face.  And the things of earth will grow strangely dim, In the light of His glory and grace."  

What hope and promise!!!  It filled my heart.  Then as I prayed this morning, I just kept having verses pop in my head to encourage me today.  

Philippians 4:8 "Finally, brethren, whatsover things are true, whatsover things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things."  

This verse has filled my heart today.  NOTHING the devil tells me is true, pure, honest, or lovely so I don't need to listen to them.  I just need to turn my eyes upward and tune my ears to what God is saying.  I am choosing to think on the truths of God's word and not the lies the devil wants to deceive me with.  In every situation today, I am choosing to be encouraged and see the good rather than focus on the things I can't fix, the things I won't get finished today, and the circumstances that are beyond my control.  I am choosing to see joy in every step of my day.  Since making this declaration, my heart has been light and my worries are in God's hands.

What will you choose today?  My prayer is that you will also choose encouragement and God's truths over all the devil will try and stop you will.  May you be blessed today instead of stressed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog and leave a comment, it means the world to me!