Friday, September 9, 2016

Friday Fun: Fondant Edition

A couple of weeks ago I showed you how I make cakes.  I really do have a lot of fun making them and I love to see what the person they are made for thinks of them.  Over the years I continue to try new techniques and methods to challenge myself and sharpen my skills.  I am not a professional by far.  I have a LOOOONNNNG way to go before I ever get close to being a professional with cakes, but I keep playing and trying.  I learn by doing so I just keep doing.  A couple of years ago on Pinterest I found this recipe for fondant from Cookies and Cups and I knew I wanted to try it.  Why?  I have bought the boxed fondant from a craft store in the past for little projects and I can tell you, it tastes terrible.  So when I found the recipe for marshmallow fondant on Pinterest I knew I wanted to try it.  It is inexpensive to make and you would be amazed how much it makes.  I have used this recipe for fondant a few times over the years and it is super easy to work with and super moldable.  Coming back to this week, I am in the process of making my daughter's birthday cake.  Last night as I was making my fondant and rolling out what I wanted I thought I would share the process with you in pictures.  You will have to come back next week to see the finished cake....

1.  I made my fondant according to the recipe, but I cut it in half  because I don't need a ton of fondant for this cake.  It turns out white so you can color it whatever color you want.

2.  I colored my fondant.  I used Wilton Icing Colors and Gel Icing Coloring.  I am not brand loyal at this point, it is whatever color I pick up at whatever craft shop I am at that matches the color I picture in my head.  (Probably one reason I am not a professional yet).  To color the fondant, I put in a few drops of coloring and rub in more shortening and a touch of powdered sugar.  This helps it mix in evenly.  Please note on my purple fondant I left it looking tie-dyed on purpose.

3.  I got ready to cut out my shapes.  I bought this nestled cookie cutter set the other day at the store.  The center flower was the perfect size for the project I am doing and it was cheap.  I think I picked up this whole set for less than $3.
GlimpseofNormalBlog

4.  I rolled out my fondant pretty thin so it would be extra moldable.  It was about 1/8" thick.  Then I just started cutting out flowers.  Make sure you have some powdered sugar on your counter before rolling out the fondant or you end up with a mess stuck to your counter....not telling how I know this.  :)


5.  I shaped the flowers how I wanted them and set them in my mini muffin pan to help them dry into shape and store them until they go on the finished cake.  




I made 4 different colors of flowers although the colors aren't showing up great in the pictures.  My camera was not cooperating with getting the true colors.  I have hot pink, violet, blue violet, and pale pink flowers.  What do you think?  Is this a project you would tackle?   Come back next week and see the finished cake!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog and leave a comment, it means the world to me!