Friday, March 17, 2017

Our Barn Home: Progress Part 3

This week has been an exciting week in our barn.  It was also an expensive week, but the cost is offset by the fact that we will save money in the long run....or something like that...no, we really will save money in the long run.  This week we got our new wood burning stove.  It is PRETTY!!!  We were sad to see the old stove go because it was very pretty, but the new one is even prettier.  It looks like it was originally part of the barn and it is the perfect mix of rustic and functional.  It fits everything we are going for in the decorating and it produces lots of heat so that is pretty awesome too.

 Anyway, before the new wood stove could go in, we had to make some adjustments to the brick where the old one was sitting.  Since we had to make some adjustments, we decided to replace the old, falling apart brick with new tile.  It turned out really nice for our very first tile project.  I can tell you that I actually had a lot of fun with this project.  Buddy and I got to break out the old brick.  It was very therapeutic in an odd way and hubby says that I have to ask before I go near anymore brick with a hammer because I had way too much fun busting out the brick.  The next day hubby and Buddy prepped the floor for the tile and we got the tile put down.  The third evening we put on the grout and cleaned up the tile.  We are very excited about this project because all of us were involved in it.  It was truly a group effort.  It turned out very well and was ready in time for the new stove which we had professionally installed.
A Glimpse of Normal Blog, our barn home, #ireallyliveinabarn
Old Wood Stove
The brick at the floor was loose and needed to be extended in the front.




They had to lay out the tile first to make sure all the cuts were right.







So in last week's post I told you the upstairs would be completely finished by the end of the weekend and I must tell you I lied.  We had a few things come up that took us away from working on the house a little more than expected.  Hubby got the plugs and face plates changed out in Little Miss' room and the loft this week.  We still have trim, plugs, and face plates to change out in our master bedroom.  The plan is to get those completed this weekend so that the upstairs is really done.  The other work that has went on this week was that I trimmed out the last high area of the living room.  I was very brave and much higher up on the ladder than I care to be,  Now I just have to find the time to roller that area and it is good to go.
So it doesn't feel like there is tons and tons of progress this week compared to the other posts I have written (Part 1 and Part 2), but big things got replaced this week which were time consuming.  Now we are much warmer and loving the extra heat and great smell of our wood burning stove.  I am hoping to report more big changes next week, but we have some big flooring decisions to make and we have been trying to decide those for months now...wish us luck.
#ireallyliveinabarn

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations again on your new home. I have to say you've accomplished more in a shorter period of time than I have in a year. I've been removing LOTS of wallpaper and wall paper border. Suffered a burn from the wallpaper stripper and that put me on a hiatus.
    Like your daughter's boots. They look a little like mine. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog and leave a comment, it means the world to me!