Friday, July 14, 2017

Summer Series: Crochet 101 - Part 4

I hope you have been following along with my Summer Series this year.  I am sharing my love of crochet with you and maybe, just maybe, teaching you along the way?
A Glimpse of Normal Blog, Beginning Crochet, Chain Stitch, Crafting, Crochet, Crochet 101, Summer Series, Tutorial, Single Crochet
So far we have covered the basics - the tools you will need, different types of yarn and how to read the labels, and chain stitches which are the foundation for your work.  This week I am teaching you the SINGLE CROCHET stitch.  It is pretty easy to figure out and there are tons and tons of projects you can do with single crochet.  Again this week I am doing a photo tutorial of how to do this stitch because I think it is easiest if I show you how.

How to Single Crochet
For this I picked up left over Lily's Sugar and Cream Yarn which is 100% cotton and a medium weight yarn.  I like using it for pictures because it holds the shape well.  I used a 5.5mm hook which is I if you got by hook letter or it is also called an I-9.

1.  Start with a foundation or starter chain, it is called both.  This is what we learned last week.  So make a chain of 10 stitches and a turning chain.
This is what a starting chain of 10 plus a turning chain looks like.
This has the stitches numbered so you can see.
2.  Once you have your starter chain done, you are going to crochet into the back of it.  This will give your piece a nice finished edge. 


3.  Insert your hook into the first stitch and yarn over your hook.
This is the hook inserted into the first stitch
Hook in the first stitch and yarn over.
4.  Pull your hook back through the stitch and you should have two loops on your hook.
This shows the two loops plus the yarn over for the next step.
5.  Yarn over again and pull your hook through the both loops. YOU DID IT!!!
The SINGLE CROCHET stitch is insert your hook into a stitch, yarn over, pull the hook back through the stitch (you should have 2 loops on your hook), yarn over, and pull hook through both loops.
Creating a single crochet  Pulling through both loops on the hook.
6.  Repeat steps 3-5 until you get to the end of the row, then chain one stitch for your turning chain.
This is the first row and the turning chain (I have already turned my work).
Do you see all 10 stitches there?  It is important to count your work as you go.  I won't tell you how I know this, but trust me, I know this....count, count, count.

7.  Now you will turn your work and insert your hook under both parts of the first stitch.

8.  Yarn over and pull your hook back through the stitch.  

9.  You should have 2 loops on your hook.  Yarn over again and pull through both loops on your hook.


10.  Repeat all the way to the end of the row, chain one and turn.

11.  Start the next row.  Keep repeating the pattern until you have the amount of rows you desire.


What do you think?  Is this something you can do?  Gather your supplies and next week, we will make a simple dish cloth.  You will need a crochet hook - J or 6 mm (this is my favorite starter hook).  You will also need 1 skein of Lily's Sugar and Cream yarn in the color of your choice.  Meet me back here next week and I will have a very simple dish cloth pattern for you to try.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog and leave a comment, it means the world to me!