Friday, July 28, 2017

Summer Series: Crochet 101 - Part 5

I have not forgot you, if you have been following along on my Summer Series, Crochet 101.  I got a little busier the last two weeks than I expected and had a hard time finding the time to sit down and write up a proper post for the project for this week.  But I am here now and we must proceed.  In Part 3 of my series I taught you the chain stitch and in Part 4 I taught you the single crochet.  Now it is time to put it all together and make a simple dish cloth.
A Glimpse of Normal Blog, Summer Series, Crochet 101, Part 5
Supplies Needed:
J Crochet Hook (6.00 mm)
1 Skein Lily's Sugar and Cream Yarn (My skein is Hot Blue)
Yarn Needle
Scissors

Stitches Used:
Chain Stitch - yarn over and pull through (you don't typically count this in your stitch count)
Single Crochet - Insert hook into stitch, yarn over and pull through (there should be 2 loops on your hook now), yarn over again and pull through both stitches.

Directions:
1.  Make a slip knot and then chain 26 stitches (this is 25 stitches plus your turning chain)
2.  In the first stitch from the hook, make a single crochet.  Continue all the way across until you get to the end of the row and then chain 1 stitch.  You should end up with 25 stitches, plus the stitch on your hook which is your turning chain.  This is row 1.
3.  Single crochet all the way across and chain one to complete your second row.  (25 stitches)
4.  Continue step 3 until you have 26 rows.
5.  Using the chain stitch on row 26 (this is the stitch you would use if you were going to create row 27), fasten off your work. I loop my yarn through to create a new loop and pull the old loop tight.  Then I repeat it one more time to knot my work.  Cut the yarn from the remaining skein.  (I only used about 1/2 of a skein for my dish cloth, but I do crochet tight.)
Here is my chain one of the last row.
I pull the yarn connected to the skein through my chain stitch. 
I pull the original loop tight.
I repeat that process.
I pull it tight again and it knots off my work.  I cut it off from the skein.
6.  Using the yarn needle, thread one of the loose tails of your work into the needle.  Then I just weave my end into the dishcloth using the needle.  I tie it off and snip off the extra.
I thread the needle using the tail from the end I cut off.
Using the needle, I weave in the end.
You can barely see where I weaved in the end.
I tie it off to the work and cut off the extra.
 Here is my finished dish cloth:


Do you have any questions?  I would love to see how your work turned out if you made a dish cloth.  Next week I will be back with a couple more stitches for you and to wrap up my summer series.


1 comment:

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog and leave a comment, it means the world to me!