Tuesday, August 8, 2017

A Review of No-Nonsense Algebra from Math Essentials

Algebra can be a very tough subject for kids to learn.  Buddy just finished Algebra I this past school year, but I am always looking for ways to keep this subject fresh in his mind since he will need the skills he learned for other math classes.  This is why I was very happy to receive a copy of No-Nonsense Algebra from Math Essentials to review recently.
No-Nonsense Algebra, Algebra, Homeschool Math, Math Essentials
No-Nonsense Algebra is a textbook style book that is designed to help students master essential math skills.  Each lesson begins with an introduction which explains the topic for the lesson.  The introduction also has helpful hints for students to remember when solving the problems.  Next there are several examples that show exactly how the problems should be worked.  Then there are exercises for the students to complete so that they can practice what they have learned.  Finally there are some review problems that review concepts that have been previously covered.  There are 10 chapters in this book and at the end of each chapter there is a chapter review which you could use as test if you would like to.  There is also a final review that covers the contents of the entire book.  The 10 chapters cover:
  • Necessary Tools for Algebra
  • Solving Equations
  • Graphing and Analyzing Linear Equations
  • Solving and Graphing Inequalities
  • Systems of Linear Equations and Inequalities
  • Polynomials
  • Rational Expressions (Algebraic Fractions)
  • Radical Expressions and Geometry
  • Quadratic Equations
  • Algebra Word Problems
When you purchase this book for $28.95 you also get access to free online video lessons.  They have a video for every lesson in this book and the videos are clear, concise, and helpful.  This textbook can be used in a variety of ways.  It can be used as a main Algebra curriculum, a supplement to another Algebra curriculum, or as a review if your student has already completed Algebra.
We used this textbook as a review tool since Buddy has just completed Algebra I this past school year.  He did well in Algebra I, but I figured that review over the summer couldn't hurt before he takes his next math course.  When we first received this book I had him complete a couple of lessons from Chapter 1.  I wanted him to review working with integers and the order of operations.  I thought these were both important topics for him to look at again.  He read through the introduction and examples so he could be reminded of what these concepts were all about.  Then he completed the exercises.  Even though this book is meant to be used as a textbook, I had him use it as a workbook and I let him write in it.  After that I had him skip around in the book and cover some of the lessons with concepts that were harder for him when he took Algebra I.  When I found a lesson that I wanted him to work on, I used my access code that comes with the book and logged in so that he could watch the corresponding video.  The videos are very well done.  They are easy to understand and the examples are very clear.  They show you step by step how to do the problems and tell you why it works.  I also had Buddy complete some of the lessons in the later chapters so he could review the concepts he learned towards the end of the year.  We will continue using this resource for review to keep Buddy's Algebra skills fresh.

We liked No-Nonsense Algebra and we would definitely recommend it.  As a parent and teacher, I feel like it is thorough enough that it could be used for a math curriculum while at the same time being used for a thorough review for those who have completed Algebra I.  I liked that the book is so thorough and well explained and that there are the videos to go along with the lessons.  Buddy liked that this book was to the point.  There weren't long, drawn out explanations so the lessons were easy to understand and took 20 minutes or so to complete since he was familiar with the concepts already.  You can learn more about Math Essentials and all the course they have to offer on their website and on Facebook.  You can learn about the No-Nonsense Algebra we received here.  As always you can see what my friends on the Homeschool Review Crew are saying about this textbook by clicking on the banner below.
No-Nonsense Algebra {Math Essentials Reviews}

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog and leave a comment, it means the world to me!