- Shop Back to School Sales - Our stores start putting our school supplies right after the 4th of July, but this is not when the supplies are the cheapest. This is when I start watching the prices of the school supplies and thinking about what I need. I keep an eye on the prices of items I need and watch until they hit a good price before I buy them. I only get the things I absolutely need to start our school year and wait on the rest for...tip #2
- Shop Back to School Clearance - I wait to buy the rest of my school supplies when all of the stores put the supplies on clearance. This is usually a week or two after the last public school in the area goes back. This is the time I stock up. I buy not only what we need for the school year, but I also buy extras. It never hurts to have extra glue, markers, colored pencils, and paper on hand. They always get used for something in our house.
- Shop for School Supplies Year Round - August isn't the only time supplies go on sale. If you watch throughout the year you can get some great deals. Paper products, planners, and organizers tend to go on sale around New Year's for all those resolutions people make so it can be a great time to stock up on those items.
- Shop Holiday Clearance Areas - After every holiday I always check the clearance areas. This is not only when I buy decorations for whatever holiday just passed, but it is also when I pick up things the items they put on clearance from the holiday that we can use for school. I buy craft items, pencils, erasers, sticky notes, and whatever else I find that we can use for school. My kids don't mind using these supplies throughout the year. They really don't care if they are using an Easter pencil in September.
- Buy in Bulk - Some items are cheaper to buy in bulk. For us it is cheaper to buy things like reams of copy paper in bulk and manila folders in bulk. I just start watching for deals on these when our supplies start to get low.
These are just a few of the ways I save money on our school supplies. I try and keep the cost for supplies down so that we have more money for field trips, activities, and projects. Every little bit we save helps.
P.S. Our Homeschool Review Crew is hosting a Back to School blog hop this week. Keep coming back this week for encouragement and ideas. Check out these blogs along with clicking on the pictures further down for more reading.Jennifer @ Dear Homeschooler Joelle @ Homeschooling for His Glory Karen @ Tots and Me...Growing Up Together Kelly @ Hope in the Chaos Kellyann @ Walking Home ... Kimberley @ Vintage Blue Suitcase Kristen @ A Mom's Quest to Teach Kym @ Homeschool Coffee Break Laura @ Four Little Penguins Linda @ Apron Strings & other things